Hello, AO Term 3!
We are beginning to learn about fish this term, so I made a little document to help my kiddos learn the terminology of fish parts to help them prepare to study specimens over the coming weeks. I thought I’d share:
Of course, book learning cannot take the place of real life observation, but a little bit of preparation like this can help give kids the vocabulary to observe more. Other resources we plan to use are …
- Take a fish hatchery tour
- Go fishing in my parent’s catfish pond
- Borrow or adopt a goldfish to live in our school room (aka the kitchen)
- Study the Handbook of Nature Study chapter called “Fishes” beginning on p. 144
- Gather and study information sheets from our local Department of Conservation (this will help us learn about our native species)
- Check out library books (*some of these are more for me):
- Fish Do the Strangest Things by Leonora and Arthur Hornblow
- Ocean by Dr. Miranda MacQuitty
- Swim, Fish! National Geographic Kids by Susan B. Neuman
- What’s It Like to Be a Fish by Wendy Pfeffer
- *The Sea Brings Forth by Ingrid Niccoll
- *The Edge of the Sea by Rachel Carson
Hope you are having fun learning about fish this term!